The purpose of this two day workshop is to provide an understanding of basic geometric road design. This also includes considerations of, the Safe System approach to road safety, extended design domain and whole-of-life costs.
Good road design will achieve operational efficiency, be safe and cost-effective, be aesthetically pleasing, and minimise the environmental impact. The role of the road designer is to produce the most appropriate design that achieves the specified functionality using the design inputs from all relevant disciplines.CONTENT
- Develop a basic understanding of the fundamentals in geometric road design
- Consider key engineering aspects that relate to a road design project
Apply the knowledge gained through various design exercises to confirm understanding
- Analyse and re-design existing rural roads to achieve a safe, cost-efficient design that considers whole-of-life costs
- Course mainly refers to Austroads (2016) Guide to Road Design Part 3: Geometric Design
Senior Technology Leader, Transport Safety
David joined ARRB in 2008 with a background in road construction and design. He specialises in road safety auditing, safe system road design, crash investigations, motorcycle safety, heavy vehicle access safety and network safety analysis. David has led or been involved in a number of Austroads projects and has presented nationally and internationally on road safety engineering principles. He currently has a special interest in motorcycle safety and infrastructure management to reduce motorcycle casualties.
Principal Professional Engineer, Transport Safety
Noel O’Callaghan joined the Australian Road Research Board as Principal Engineer, Transport Safety in 2015 . Prior to that, he was the Principal Road Design Engineer for DPTI, providing road design advice across the Department on a variety of projects ranging from local roads to major expressways. He was the South Australian representative on the Austroads Road Design Task Force, and the Safety Barrier Assessment Panel
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
The workshop is primarily aimed at, but not limited to:
- Project and program managers/directors
- Consulting, State or Local government road design and construction personnel
- Construction technicians and engineers
- Design draftspersons and engineers
- Graduate technicians and engineers
We are now taking expressions of interest for our 2019 workshops.