Overview of training
The Australian Road Research Board (ARRB), Trafficworks and Road Solutions have been engaged by The Department of Transport – Victoria (DoT) to be licenced training providers delivering VicRoads and DoT accredited technical training.
All Training Courses will be held at the ARRB national headquarters unless otherwise noted:
Workshop Date: November 18 - 19
Time: 8.30am – 5.30pm
Duration: 2 days
Location: National Transport Research Centre, Port Melbourne
Cost: $2,000 + GST
Traffic Signals Design & Operation Workshop
The aim of this course is to introduce the principles of best practice traffic signal design and operation. The course will include:
- Fundamentals of traffic signal analysis
- Traffic signal layouts – geometric elements, location of signal equipment, signal phasing
- Operational design – signal group allocation, detector map, signal phasing, phase diagrams and control of right turns
- Operational design – detector functions, intergreen time and pedestrians
- Introduction to signal operations and signal coordination, including SCATS.
At the end of this course the learner should be able to:
- Undertake first principles analysis of signalised intersections
- Understand how to interpret traffic signal layouts and the fundamentals associated with their preparation
- Understand the complexities and features within the operational design (Operation Sheets) of signalised intersections, including signal phasing and operational time settings
- Understand how and why the Sydney coordinated adaptive traffic system (SCATS) is used by the Department of Transport to manage the traffic signal network.
*Dates and prices are subject to change.