Road Condition & Inventory Services
- automated pavement surface assessments
- automatic crack detection and mapping
- geometry and mapping surveys
- roadside inventory and asset management
- road safety assessment
- airport runway maintenance
- estimate speed and travel times
- road construction quality testing
Pavement Strength Testing
ARRB’s pavement strength testing services are carried out using a Falling Weight Deflectometer (FWD), which is a non-destructive testing device that provides data on the bearing capacity of road and airport pavements.
Suitable for highways, local roads, railways and airport runways, FWD testing allows for more accurate and rapid measurement of pavement deflection under loads than traditional methods. The data can assist in applications such as pavement overlay design, pavement condition surveys and in the development and operation of a Pavement Management System (PMS).
A dynamic load is generated by the dropping of a mass, similar to that of a moving vehicle or aircraft wheel loads, from a pre-set height. The magnitude of the load and the pavement response are measured by a load cell and nine geophones.
The FWD is equipped with DGPS, thus providing location information up to an accuracy of 1 metre and all data collected is in accordance with International Standard ASTM D 4694-96 (2003).
- Remaining pavement life
- Pavement design overlay
- Airport runway maintenance
- Airport PCN determination
Ride Quality Testing
Road construction quality testing
ARRB offers independent assessments of the surface characteristics during the post construction of pavements. Our testing is undertaken in accordance with the prevailing jurisdiction’s test method.
ARRB also routinely undertakes pre and post construction dilapidation surveys related to the creation of major infrastructure so as to provide an independent assessment of the impact on public roads.
- post maintenance / construction ride quality testing
- independent laser and imaging surveys for baseline data for infrastructure projects