This course provides an overview of the three main types of bituminous binders that are used in road construction (i.e. unmodified bitumen, polymer modified binders and bituminous emulsions). It includes information about how each material is produced as well as how they are specified. The course also describes the specified tests that are performed on each type of material and how the results of these tests will affect road construction and long-term road performance.
This course will provide a general insight into the use, specified properties and applications of bitumen, polymer modified binders (PMBs) and bituminous emulsions that will benefit project/contract/asset managers as well as technical specialists in State Road Authorities and Local Councils. This course will also benefit technical and production staff that work for binder suppliers.
Duration: Half Day
- Learning Outcomes
- Target Audience
- Understanding of how unmodified bitumen, PMBs and bituminous emulsions are produced
- Understanding of the specifications applied to these materials, tests included in each specification and general applications of each material
- Understanding of how the test results obtained for these materials affect construction and road performance
State Road Authorities and Local Councils
- Project Managers
- Contract Managers
- Asset Managers and Technical Specialists
- Technical Staff Asset Managers and Specialists
- Production Staff